mymvrental.com

image_pdfimage_print

Edgartown the Historic Village

Edgartown is living proof of the great age of whaling.  It was settled in 1642 as the first English village on the island.  It became a port for the whaling industry in the 19th century.  Evidence of the towns wealth is seen in the stately sea captains mansions along North and South Water Street facing the harbor.  Most of these homes were white clap board homes and rose covered picket fences.  Among the historical landmarks are the old Whaling Church and Dr. Daniel House.  The Vincent House located behind the Dr. Daniel house is the oldest unaltered house built in 1670.  Today,  along with all these beautiful historic homes are the best restaurants.  Some are located right on the water with great views of the harbor. There are also galleries, many with paintings by local artists as well as  other great  shopping. 
Our home is just a 3 minute drive from downtown Edgartown.